Rich Freeman on 1 Nov 2014 09:59:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ripping a scratched DVD

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Amul Shah <amul@amulz.com> wrote:
> My niece scratched her copy of Frozen and all I have at my cousins
> place is Windows and Mac OS X. I tried handbrake and disk utility
> (Mac equivalent of gparted), but both failed out with i/o errors. Has
> anyone ever done this?

What do you mean by, "rip?"

Do you want to get another DVD out of this, playable in a standard DVD
player?  Or, are you trying to end up with just a video file playable
on a PC, or maybe on a DVD player that can handle such things?

If the latter, honestly there are probably far easier ways to obtain
this than trying to ripping a bad DVD, not that I would know, but
rumor has it that there are these websites where you can download such
things...

I wouldn't really recommend using DD for any of this, you really need
libdvdcss, and you might need software designed to thwart the various
countermeasures manufacturers have been employing.  It wouldn't hurt
to start with an actual working disk.  When you start stacking
hacked-up disk sectors on top of a disk that isn't really readable to
begin with, it isn't going to be fun to deal with.

You might consider a DVD repair kit if you have one.

--
Rich