Michael Leone on 22 Dec 2014 08:04:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Issuing a cert from OpenSSL without a CSR from the client

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Rich Freeman
<r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> >
> > Any request I generate myself on my CA, in the name of the Connections
> > server, will be pretty much the same as an actual CSR generated on that
> > Connections server, right? Just as valid a CSR, I mean.
> >

> It should be completely possible in theory, though I'd have to dig
> through a bazillion openssl manpages to tell you how.  You'll
> definitely need access to the public key for the server - I don't know
> if generating a csr requires access to the private key offhand (I'd
> hope that it does, otherwise anybody could generate one, though they
> couldn't actually make use of it without the private key other than
> maybe to confuse clients).

"The certificate request is created like this:

  openssl req -new -key privkey.pem -out cert.csr"

https://www.openssl.org/docs/HOWTO/certificates.txt

Just not sure which "privkey.pem" that is - I assume the CA.

I have access to all the keys, public and private, for both the CA and
any issued certs (I've issued maybe a half dozen, for other internal
servers, to replace self-signed ones)