Rich Freeman on 30 Jan 2015 17:34:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Article on 'cyberwarfare'

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:

> Multinational corporations will demand the ability to maintain their VPNs
> between branches.  These companies tend to earn high returns in
> less-developed countries that presumably would be outside the "great
> firewall".  Individuals have friends and relatives around the world these
> days and won't take kindly to being walled off from them.  One would expect
> they'd take action at the political and technical levels to prevent that
> from happening.  I'm not a computer security expert but I understand it's
> difficult to maintain a firewall when you have people on both sides working
> to undermine its effectiveness.
>
> I certainly do not want to be walled off from regions of the world because
> Big Brother says it's necessary for my own safety.

I do agree that corps are more likely to just push for the "license to
broadcast on the internet" approach.  They'll of course be able to get
them.

But, the fact today is that those big corporations have to jump
through all kinds of hoops to move physical goods over borders.

It will be interesting to see how this all develops.  I think that the
whole Sony debacle is just the beginning.  Unless countries start
retaliating with sanctions/etc to hacking attempts there is really
little to deter hackers in some foreign countries.

--
Rich