Joe Rosato on 1 Feb 2015 10:49:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Article on 'cyberwarfare'

Paul,

Prior to all this hub-bub about the militarization of the internet I read that this year (or was it last year) that a lot of "passwords" on the internet were in threat since, as is always true with cryptography, the methods out there were old and cracking things would be easier. This was usually connected to articles talking about the death of the password and what can be used to replace it. Also, I think it was google that said they are going to stop supporting some old ssl certificates in their browse and list them as insecure.. in full knowledge that certificate companies issuing them were not going to push the issue to their clients since the commitments promised something like 2018 (I might have the date wrong). My way of reading this was that the certificate companies were not offering an idea for a price "security until 2018", but an object "this signature". In short, the certificate companies were going to let companies get hacked, leaving the onus on them to "purchase" new certificates from them. Or, on a lighter note, Google just realized people are lazy and figured they would get people's attention with big warning signs on their browser.

So - these are our security issues. Plus others not yet realized. If the hacker is your next door neighbor, a patriot working for South Korea, a patriot working for UK, a loonie with a sadistic streak that just wants to cause chaos, or someone's cat who walked on the keyboard "correctly" and took down Walmart it does not matter. The State against State propaganda is a red herring. Like the comment earlier that everything looks like a nail to a hammer, States tend to view all conflict in terms of other States.

I'm sure that there will be those who hack "for their State". As a tech guy we need to make things secure. Not as an American, as a tech guy. Let's call it the tech hippocratic oath. An American doctor who does not want to bandage the leg of a {fill in non-american here} is a man that is not following his oath.

In tech we trust,

Joe ;-)