john boris on 26 Feb 2015 07:42:02 -0800

[PLUG] Child Proofing my Home Network

I may have approached this issue earlier on the list but last night I started the move to make my network more chid proof. I am having issues with my Granddaughter and where she has been going on the Internet. She is 8 in 2nd grade and has shown that she has the basics in logic to solve issues  See https://lopsa.org/content/dealing-7-year-old-computer-hacker and https://lopsa.org/content/my-7-year-old-hacker-strikes-again on my LOPSA blog as to her dealings.

So we have encouraged her more involving computers. Problem is her school is not advanced in that area and at home her Dad is the only computer savvy person and he is trying to find the time. So she has been venturing in places I don;t like.

So I started using OpenDNS last night to block as muchj as possible. This may cause some grief with my wife but I told her to be patient as we tweek this. OpenDNS is block or deny by domain. It does not allow any tweeking by user. OpenDNS says to got to a Netgear device to allow for users to have special access.

I have searched for such a device using a Raspberry Pi. With the latest version out there with a Quad core processor it looks like it will be a perfect platform. Space and power consumption it is ideal.

The problem is I haven't found anything that does not require me to input everything I want to to block.

So I come to the list to ask if anyone knows of a setup using a Raspberry Pi (or arduino as I will look into that as well) that does content filtering for Children (possibly geared at schools) and allows for customization.

When I am all done with this I plan to write it up and show the pitfalls and successes.

TIA

--
John J. Boris, Sr.