john boris on 26 Feb 2015 11:59:27 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Child Proofing my Home Network

Mike,
On my block, when she is here, we are computer central. The kids next door don't have it readily available. At home my son is just like me. The first thing he did when he moved in was start wiring the house and now it is extending WiFi. But the other kids that she plays with on the block don't have it. They come to his house and she is not allowed to take her Kids Kindle out of the house.

When she isn't around us I have to rely on her 8 year old sense. She understands more than she lets on. To the point it scares me as to how she will be when she gets older.

Kids today learn quicker than we old folks think. Heck it only took her one time watching my wife hit the combo on the front door lock to know what it was. I had to sit her down and explain how that is something private and she shouldn't be looking over people's shoulders. She can pick upi your keystrokes in a second so I always make sure she isn't near me when I am working entering passwords.

Makes life interesting and also never a dull moment.

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 2:45 PM, Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:

>> Thanks. Today speaking with my wife I told her it is time to spin up
>> another unit just for her. It will make things a bit easier as I will then
>> have her on her own IP. And we can can monitor it better.
>

> I think that's a good idea.  At the time, we went with an iPod Touch. She's
> now 14 and has a smartphone, but with the cellular data turned off...data is
> only through wifi.  This means it has the Norton DNS filtering plus gets cut
> off at 10 on schoolnights by the router.

Is there a mechanism to restrict wifi to just your router? What
happens if she visits a friend's house, and uses their wifi? There
won't be any filtering then, correct?

You can only do so much, of course.

John J. Boris, Sr.
Head Freshmen Football Coach