Keith C. Perry on 11 Jul 2015 09:08:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] swappiness and ssd

Not sure I agree with Red Hat's assessment of swappiness = 0.  The point is to aggressively not swap .  This reminds me why Rich Freeman (errr, Prime) and I had similar ideas behind why we leave it off.  For me, this sort of "tuning" doesn't directly command behavior or define a policy.  So whether 0, 1, 5, or 30, I'm not really telling the kernel directly to, for example:

swap only if I am about to run out of memory (e.g. under 1Mb while under memory pressure)
start swapping memory when system usage is under 50%
start swapping memory when user consumption is over 50%
stop swapping and return everything to main memory if I will have more that 30% free when done

You get the idea.

That said, I feel like I might have hijacked K.S.'s update in regards to swapping on SSD's.  Putting aside log-structured file systems which are generally better for SSD use, shouldn't swappiness be turned down on SSD's generally?  Doesn't a swappiness of 80 mean you are swapping more than when the system is set to 60?

Also, if that is the case, does that imply you have to run fstrim more?

I'm an XFS user and thankfully realtime discarding is available if I am ok with the performance penalty and I don't want to use batch mode.  Something to remember for my next server build which will  use an SSD for the system drive.

http://xfs.org/index.php/FITRIM/discard

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033