brent timothy saner on 12 Jul 2015 13:29:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Can't See "Sent" eMail

On 07/12/2015 04:05 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> I'm having a weird problem with my mail server.   I've done everything I can
> think of, but am stumped.  Hopefully, some one here can offer a good trouble-
> shooting approach.
>
> My "sent" mail does not show up in my mail client.   However, the sent mail
> file __is__ on the IMAP server.
>
> I run my own postfix/dovecot/amavis/spamassasin server under Debian.  I'm
> using the Maildir format.  Everything seems to work fine, except for this one
> problem.
>
> I've got KMail setup to save outgoing mail to the IMAP server in the "Sent"
> folder.   When I send an eMail, everything seems to work fine without any
> errors.   However, KMail does not see the sent mail.   Old sent mails are
> there, but not the ones from the last few weeks.
>
> The weird thing is that when I look at the directory on the server, the sent
> mail is there, it's just that KMail can't see it.  Likewise, Claws Mail can't
> see them either.  Yet, RoundCube, my web mail client, sees them without any
> problem.
>
> Restarting all the mail daemons and rebooting the mail server make no
> difference.
>
> I suspect a permissions problem, but everything looks fine.  All the sent
> files are owned by the eMail account "casey" and the group is also the same
> "casey".   The permissions are all the same too (600).  Changing the
> permissions to 644 (universal read) didn't seem to help.
>

> Anybody got any ideas?

i'm betting your dovecot index is fuxx0red or your local cache is.
 former's more likely.

try deleting dovecot*.* in the maildir. if that doesn't do it, clear
KMail's cache.

iirc, most web IMAP clients don't actually use the index if they're
running on localhost and instead just look at the local filesystem.