brent timothy saner on 18 Jul 2015 18:08:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cloning a dying hard drive

On 07/18/2015 09:01 PM, Clay wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> This could very well be a personal preference. I think it also depends
> on the external drive
> in question. Many are preformatted for WIndows or Mac. I guess I should
> have included that
> part.. if the drive is preformatted then I would remove the partition(s)
> and create a new partition
> for good measure. I have not tested imaging a drive without fdisking it
> first. I will now just to
> see what happens.
>
> Cheers,
> Clay

Clay-

To save you the trouble, when you clone an entire *device* (e.g.
/dev/sda), the partition table is cloned along with it (the parititon
table exists in the first 512 bytes of the drive for DOS/MBR partition
tables, and ALL over the place for GPT (primary is at the end of the
device, if I recall).

So you really don't need to create any sort of partitions if you're
cloning an entire device to an entire device (e.g. /dev/sda => /dev/sdb).

It doesn't matter if the drive has been pre-formatted, as that
filesystem (NTFS/FAT*/HFS/HFS+/etc.) is "unstructured" and is just dumb
flipped bits on a disk, waiting to be written over, when you apply
another filesystem (ext3, ext2, ext4, whatever) on top of it, and
they're almost useless without a matching partition table.

In other words, there is absolutely no prep work needed for a
destination disk when cloning on a block level (as dd, and dd-based,
tools do).

Well, other than maybe a badblocks[0] and extended S.M.A.R.T. test on
the destination disk first, to make sure you have a good disk you're
copying to. :)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Badblocks