Keith C. Perry on 20 Aug 2015 11:15:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need a supported distro with old glibc

"any distro is fine as long as..."

How many times have we all heard that one- devil in the details

As frustrating as that is, its not uncommon.  20 months away is not that close so I would roll with what works for now.  Dual / multi glibc support is not impossible but can be rather cumbersome from what I understand.  Certainly it clutters your system but you're not going to care about that. This view of things might be dated since this hasn't come up for me in some years.  It may be less of bear now.

2014 was only last year, I wouldn't say CentOS 5 is an "old" release in that regard especially when you consider software lifecycles.  They're probably primarily a Windows company and maybe don't understand how to do more agile / durable (i.e. Linux) development.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Greg Helledy" <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 1:54:01 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Need a supported distro with old glibc

We're getting a new payroll/timesheet system and it requires a glibc no
newer than 2.11.  The company says any distro is fine as long as that
criterion is met.

As I've looked into it, that's quite old...distributions that included
glibc 2.11 were released around 2010.  None of these are likely to be
getting updates anymore.

The exceptions appear to be RHEL 5 / CentOS 5, released in 2014 with
glibc 2.5.  However, support for those is scheduled to end in March 2017
(according to wikipedia).

Am I missing something here?  Why would a company have their flagship
product not installable on an OS with a lifespan longer than 20 months?

I'm waiting for a response from tech support but wondering whether I'm
missing something--do some distros support more than one glibc version
at the same time?  Is there some other way around this issue, so I can
use this product and not have to install again that soon?  The
alternative is to go pay for a Windows server machine--Server 2008 is
supported until 2020.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated