Greg Helledy on 20 Aug 2015 10:54:03 -0700

[PLUG] Need a supported distro with old glibc

We're getting a new payroll/timesheet system and it requires a glibc no newer than 2.11. The company says any distro is fine as long as that criterion is met.

As I've looked into it, that's quite old...distributions that included glibc 2.11 were released around 2010. None of these are likely to be getting updates anymore.

The exceptions appear to be RHEL 5 / CentOS 5, released in 2014 with glibc 2.5. However, support for those is scheduled to end in March 2017 (according to wikipedia).

Am I missing something here? Why would a company have their flagship product not installable on an OS with a lifespan longer than 20 months?

I'm waiting for a response from tech support but wondering whether I'm missing something--do some distros support more than one glibc version at the same time? Is there some other way around this issue, so I can use this product and not have to install again that soon? The alternative is to go pay for a Windows server machine--Server 2008 is supported until 2020.

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated