Gavin W. Burris on 21 Aug 2015 11:04:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need a supported distro with old glibc

Hello, Greg.

It looks like the current version of RHEL / CentOS 7.1 has this:

Name        : compat-glibc
Arch        : x86_64
Epoch       : 1
Version     : 2.12
Release     : 4.el7
Size        : 6.7 M
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : rhel-x86_64-server-7
Summary     : Compatibility C library
URL         : http://sources.redhat.com/glibc/
License     : LGPLv2+ and LGPLv2+ with exceptions and GPLv2+
Description : This package contains stub shared libraries and static libraries
            : from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.
            :
            : To compile and link against these compatibility libraries, use
            : gcc -fgnu89-inline \
            :       -I /usr/lib/x86_64-redhat-linux6E/include \
            :       -B /usr/lib/x86_64-redhat-linux6E/lib64/

Cheers.

On Thu 08/20/15 01:54PM -0400, Greg Helledy wrote:
> We're getting a new payroll/timesheet system and it requires a glibc no
> newer than 2.11.  The company says any distro is fine as long as that
> criterion is met.
>
> As I've looked into it, that's quite old...distributions that included glibc
> 2.11 were released around 2010.  None of these are likely to be getting
> updates anymore.
>
> The exceptions appear to be RHEL 5 / CentOS 5, released in 2014 with glibc
> 2.5.  However, support for those is scheduled to end in March 2017
> (according to wikipedia).
>
> Am I missing something here?  Why would a company have their flagship
> product not installable on an OS with a lifespan longer than 20 months?
>
> I'm waiting for a response from tech support but wondering whether I'm
> missing something--do some distros support more than one glibc version at
> the same time?  Is there some other way around this issue, so I can use this
> product and not have to install again that soon?  The alternative is to go
> pay for a Windows server machine--Server 2008 is supported until 2020.
>

> --
> Greg Helledy
> GRA, Incorporated
> P:  +1 215-884-7500
> F:  +1 215-884-1385
> www.gra.aero

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania