Rich Freeman on 21 Aug 2015 10:43:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need a supported distro with old glibc

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Greg Helledy <gregsonh@gra-inc.com> wrote:
> I certainly wouldn't have wanted a hacked solution with two glibcs.  But
> RHEL packages things this way and the software vendor essentially requires
> this solution.  I can only hope it has been thought through by the people
> more knowledgeable than I.

Fundamentally there should be no reason you couldn't have more than
one glibc.  After all, anytime you run containers or chroots that's
basically what you have.

The issue is just that glibc tends to get packaged in ways that make
that difficult. I suspect build systems may also make assumptions that
make that difficult.

I was a bit surprised that Gentoo didn't support slotted glibc until I
saw what was actually included in the package.  The package would need
major refactoring to make it possible since it includes lots of
unversioned files like stuff in /bin.

--
Rich