Stephen R Guglielmo on 28 Aug 2015 06:41:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Securing Web Site for External Traffic

On August 28, 2015 8:50:44 AM EDT, Louis K <louis.kratz@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hey Pluggers,
>I've got a simple website running behind my firewall for administrating
>our various web-based devices and services (dvr, baby monitor, etc).
>I'm
>thinking about forwarding port 80 on my router to make the site
>accessible
>from outside our home network.
>
>What are people's opinions of the best way to secure such a site? I
>think
>the easiest would be http auth with user/password, but is that "secure
>enough"?
>
>I was also thinking about a vpn solution but am admittedly pretty green
>with that stuff and would need it to work on different platforms (iOS
>and
>droid).
>
>Lou

To add to the other responses, if you go with http auth, I'd recommend setting up fail2ban to prevent anyone from brute forcing it.

A VPN would definitely be best. I know my phone (android 5.1.1) has options for a VPN connection. I've never used it though.