Keith C. Perry on 9 Sep 2015 14:26:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cheap x86 Windows tablet?

I don't have any experience with this but it looks like someone got it going on a Surface Pro.  I don't remember that being a "cheap" model but it makes me think that it is probably possible.

http://wind8apps.com/install-linux-ubuntu-surface-pro-devices/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Helledy" <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 9, 2015 5:12:58 PM
Subject: [PLUG] Cheap x86 Windows tablet?

The recent discussion of falling phone prices got me thinking of
something else:  my "around the house" laptop is really old and for
light-duty use a tablet might be more convenient.  It seems like the
prices for Windows 8 tablets are coming down now.

How easy is it likely to be to install linux on a Win 8 tablet?  Any
recommendations on models to consider?  Also, I really want a keyboard.
  It seems like a bluetooth keyboard with a separate battery is going to
add hassle; is that true (should I limit my search to tablets that come
with detachable keyboards) or are bluetooth keyboards ok?

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated