Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 9 Sep 2015 16:13:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Cheap x86 Windows tablet?

Surface 3 Pro is a somewhat-standard-ish Core i5/i5/i7 PC, and while it's possible to put Linux on it (there's an arch-surface3 mailing list I follow), it's far from issue-free, there are long lists of gotchas and sorta-working items. It's also actively hostile to booting non-MS OSes, via the UEFI and the difficulties in disabling Secure Boot.

Surface 3 (not Pro) is Core M based, not ARM, and it has the same pros and cons as the Surface 3 Pro, plus the additional con of less testing and development having been done because it's newer.

The Surface and Surface 2 (not Pro, not Surface 3) were ARM-based, ran Windows RT, and have nearly zero chance of running Linux. They're also the only Surface devices I'd call "cheap".

If you'd like to try your hand at putting Linux onto a tablet device, I've been looking at these, they're via Microcenter so you can give it a shot for two weeks and then return for full refund.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/443016/Aspire_Switch_11_2-in-1_Tablet_-_Silver

http://www.microcenter.com/product/444611/Aspire_R3-471T-77HT_Touch_14_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver

Being Acer, they're not as high spec or high build quality as a Microsoft gadget, but they're infinitely more likely to meet your goals of running Linux smoothly, IMO.