JP Vossen on 28 Oct 2015 11:27:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] some bash help

++ for ~/.ssh/config as well.  I used that a lot at $WORK--, you can
Google for "SSH jumphost" and find lots of stuff including
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_server.

There is a LOT you can do with ~/.ssh/config when you dig into the
details and it's well worth the time.  This works on Linux and Mac but I
have no idea if or how well it would work in PuTTY.

To address the scalability concern, I was doing this for 200+ hosts no
problem...with some tricks.  Works for AWS PVCs too, so I'm told.

----- cut excerpt here -----
# Global user config (nice for Ansible too)
Host *
    ServerAliveInterval = 100
    ForwardAgent yes
    # OpenSSH v4+
        # http://www.torchbox.com/blog/ssh_tips_2.html
        #
http://nion.modprobe.de/blog/archives/502-Speeding-up-SSH-ControlMaster.html
        ControlPath ~/.ssh/master-%r@%h:%p
        ControlMaster auto
        ControlPersist 120

# Awesome wild-card shortcut to expand host.sub
# Except do NOT (re-)expand the jumphost itself
host *.subdomain1 !jh*-*
    HostName %h.subdomain1.example.com

# Define jumphost (add more stanzas for more JHs)
host jh01 mydatacenter1 jh01.subdomain1.example.com
    HostName jh01.subdomain1.example.com
    #HostName 10.10.10.10
    Port 2345
    User jp
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_mydatacenter1
    Compression yes

# Define which hosts use which JH
Host *.subdomain1.example.com !jh*.subdomain1.example.com
    ProxyCommand ssh -A -p 2345 -W %h:%p jh01.subdomain1.example.com
    ForwardAgent yes
    Compression yes
----- cut excerpt here -----

NOTES:
* Use `ssh -vvv` (I forget how many "v"s are needed) and it will show
you each config file line that is applied.  VERY helpful in debugging.
* My example my not work 100%, I had to obfuscate it quite a bit, so I
may have messed up the logic a bit.  In particular, the internal host
naming scheme was designed to facilitate this, but I had to obfuscate
that.  This it through for your environment and names.
* That said, my config worked but was pieced together over time from
various sources and I never had time to fully streamline it.  It may
have cruft.
** Like some of my example is redundant (like "compression").
** And it may not flow very well.
* There's another way of doing the ProxyCommand part that uses `nc`
(Netcat) that some people prefer.  I prefer doing it all in SSH because
`nc` can make auditor's heads explode (even though that's really BS) and
just because fewer moving parts is better.

Of course, this is IT so..."it depends" and everyone's environment is
different.  But it's well worth the time to figure it out if you work in
an environment where it applies.

Hopefully the above provides some useful clues.

Later,
JP