Eric H. Johnson on 3 Nov 2015 18:47:43 -0800

[PLUG] Sound and MKV files

Hi all,

Not strictly a Linux question, but same symptoms on any platform I tried. I have two TVs with Chromecasts, one is a Sony, the other a Panasonic.  If I chromecast an mkv to the Sony TV, no problem. If I do the same to the Panasonic, I get no sound. I swapped chromecasts, so it isn’t something with the chromecast. Also, if I have a file format other than mkv, mp4 specifically, then I do get sound to either TV.

The first computer I was using is running Ubuntu Linux 15.04. I then tried with a Windows 7 machine, same thing. Sound to the Sony, no sound to the Panasonic. I then copied the file to an Android tablet with an HDMI port.  Again no sound to the Panasonic, although I did not try the Sony. One of my Linux laptops has an HDMI port, so I tried with it, again no sound to the Panasonic.

I read online that there are a couple types of sound encoding that chromecast does not support, including AC3, however the sound encoding appears to be AAC. Finally I transcribed the file from MKV to mp4 with handbrake, but the resulting file has no sound regardless of where it is played, including locally.

What the heck am I missing?

Thanks,

Eric