Keith C. Perry on 9 Nov 2015 08:37:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Suggestion for covering open source project's history before 8:00

I have to say it's good to see people wanting to hear history and the motivations for the why things are done at any one time.  I'm a bit of a stickler for this since I find that in all areas of life people, tend to do things without having a grasp on the context of the knowledge they are applying.  Understanding is the application of knowledge but applying knowledge without context can lead to bad behavior.  The only way to self-correct is to constantly challenge the current understanding to see if we can do "better".

So, +1 across the board for me on this too.

Each location runs a bit different but intros are important.  I'm absolutely horrible with names but I never forget a face.  We haven't been consistent with this at Central so I'm going to try to remember to bring it up.  Whenever and wherever I do talks / instruction, I do provide my contact info and mention that I am a consultant.  Having a context on the speaker help to understand where they are coming from.  Personally, I have a business need for such information because I never know what I may be asked for.

(I'm going to be bringing up a project idea I'm working on that PLUG would be important to starting at tomorrow's North meeting).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "fred" <fred@bristle.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 7, 2015 3:01:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Suggestion for covering open source project's history before 8:00

+1 for always taking time to discuss history and WHY

+1 for history before the talk

+1 for intros just before the talk.  Personally, I'd like to see
name tags too, just to make it easier to tie names on the
mailing list with faces.  We're all nerds, right?  Are ANY of
us good with names.  I know I'm not!

--Fred
Fred Stluka -- mailto:fred@bristle.com -- http://bristle.com/~fred/
Bristle Software, Inc -- http://bristle.com -- Glad to be of service!
Open Source: Without walls and fences, we need no Windows or Gates.