Mike DePaulo on 10 Nov 2015 03:57:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Unlocked Cell Phones

Hi Bhaskar,

That is very good advice for feature phones. However, those 4 bands
are the 2G bands.

Over the last 5 years or so, I have found that nearly every smartphone
supports all 4 bands for 2G. Definitely all new smartphones worth $150
USD+ nowadays support all 4 bands for 2G.

It's the bands for 3G (HSPA) and 3.5G (HSPA+) where your $150 to $300
smartphone is likely to not support all the bands. There are 5
commonly used international bands instead of 4. Some of them overlap
with the 2G bands.

And in terms of 4G (LTE), there are even more bands.

If all you care about is making and receiving calls, sending and
receiving text messages, doing emails (either plaintext or html with
little to no images) and doing web browsing (with little images), then
2G service will suffice. You can send and receive texts with Google
Voice also; because GV texts are merely tiny amounts of data. I am
speaking from experience using a 3.5G android phone (Motorola Moto G
1st gen) with only 2G service abroad.

-Mike