Will on 9 Nov 2015 22:55:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Unlocked Cell Phones

As someone who hasn't owned a locked phone since 2006. Used ATT, Cingular, Verizon, and T-Mobile... It is liberating. I would strongly suggest never using a phone locked to a carrier again just because the freedom to do what you wish with the device is amazing.

For purchasing unlocked phones, straight from the manufacturer is best. I will admit the Nexus series has treated me very well (avoid the LG Nexus phones or trade them after one year). Play editions are second to the Nexus phones.  I would recommend always checking to see if there is a cyanogen mod available for any phone you wish to purchase and double check to see if there are instructions for that device to unlock it prior to purchase.

Once your phone is unlocked enjoy the freedom with your phone to do whatever you want. The phones are hard to brick and easy to recover usually. My only advice is to back up your device, sometimes one can get too experimental and there is a need to retrace steps.

-Will C