Casey Bralla on 24 Nov 2015 18:32:10 -0800

[PLUG] Update: Update: Off-topic: Cell Phone Call Quality

FYI. I changed phones and now have much better sound quality. Here's what I found:

1. The problem was the local Net-10 signal. I was in Seattle on business, and the sound quality was excellent. Back to Philly, and it's terrible. My guess is that Net-10 piggybacks on other carriers, and gets "left-over" bandwidth. This causes short drop-outs that destroy audio quality.

2. I ditched Net-10 and bought an unlocked Motorola Moto-X Pure ($399. They customized and FedEx'd it to me from Shanghai.) I'm using Consumer Cellar and paying $25/month plus tax for a low-usage data plan (most of my data is via WiFi) The sound quality is very good. Also, Consumer Cellular's web site and phone support was excellent, while Net-10's web designers should be subject to summary execution.

BTW, I'm now using stock Android 5.1.1 on the Motorola, compared to Samsung's 4.x on the Samsung Galaxy S3. I gotta say, the newer version of Android STINKS! The themes and icons are ugly, the built-in apps are worse than previously (especially the eMail app, which co-mingles all the eMails from separate accounts!), and the improvements are minimal. All in all, it looks like Google is following Microsoft: Change it and make it worse. The only real improvement in 5.1.1 is the ability to multi-task, which all phones should have been able to do all along anyway.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence

The NerdWorld Organisation