Josh Zenker on 25 Nov 2015 04:54:48 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Update: Update: Off-topic: Cell Phone Call Quality

On Nov 24, 2015 9:32 PM, "Casey Bralla" <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:

> FYI. I changed phones and now have much better sound quality. Here's what I found:
>

> 1. The problem was the local Net-10 signal. I was in Seattle on business, and the sound quality was excellent. Back to Philly, and it's terrible. My guess is that Net-10 piggybacks on other carriers, and gets "left-over" bandwidth. This causes short drop-outs that destroy audio quality.
>

> 2. I ditched Net-10 and bought an unlocked Motorola Moto-X Pure ($399. They customized and FedEx'd it to me from Shanghai.) I'm using Consumer Cellar and paying $25/month plus tax for a low-usage data plan (most of my data is via WiFi) The sound quality is very good. Also, Consumer Cellular's web site and phone support was excellent, while Net-10's web designers should be subject to summary execution.
>

> BTW, I'm now using stock Android 5.1.1 on the Motorola, compared to Samsung's 4.x on the Samsung Galaxy S3. I gotta say, the newer version of Android STINKS! The themes and icons are ugly, the built-in apps are worse than previously (especially the eMail app, which co-mingles all the eMails from separate accounts!), and the improvements are minimal. All in all, it looks like Google is following Microsoft: Change it and make it worse. The only real improvement in 5.1.1 is the ability to multi-task, which all phones should have been able to do all along anyway.

If you don't care for the Email app, there are alternatives. The newer versions of the Gmail app support a wider variety of account types, not just Gmail. There's also K-9 Mail, which many people seem to love (although it's not my personal preference).

To address your more general dissatisfaction, I have a Nexus 7 tablet that has had every version of Android since 4.x, and I'm quite pleased with the latest versions. See if you can get your hands on a Nexus device, just to see if the stock Android on your Motorola is truly stock.