Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 25 Nov 2015 11:49:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Update: Update: Off-topic: Cell Phone Call Quality

Point 1 is propaganda from the network operators. Call quality and data speeds via an MVNO are not inherently degraded in any way. For an example, I was previously on T-Mobile postpaid, then pre-paid, and am currently on the Wal-mart-hosted 'Family Mobile' prepaid MVNO (Operated by T-Mobile, on their network). The network availability, call quality, and data speeds have been exactly the same on all three carriers. The big carriers, however, would really rather you deal with them directly, as they receive larger and unshared profits that way. Barring any actual evidence against, I think these circumstantial data points are sufficient to refute the unproven claim.

Call quality and data performance are highly dependent on the quality of the handset, though, and many MVNOs provide very low quality handsets in an effort to compete with financed handsets via the main operators. This may have been used as "evidence" of MVNO inferiority in the past. With BYO handsets being more and more common, carrier financing slowly declining, and a number of very high quality unlocked handsets now being available, I'd say this is a declining concern.