Mike DePaulo on 19 Dec 2015 13:01:52 -0800

[PLUG] MinGW-w64: A developer-centric talk I could give

At the last PLUG central, we discussed the need to give more
developer-centric talks rather than sysadmin-centric talks.

I could prepare and give a talk on MinGW-w64.
"GCC for Windows 64 & 32 bits"
http://mingw-w64.org/

Like MinGW before it, MinGW is a port of GCC and its toolchain to
Windows. In contrast to Cygwin, it lets you build your apps such that
they target the usual Windows APIs and behave like any ony other
Windows app. When combined with one of the available IDEs, it is an
open source alternative to Microsoft Visual Studio.
http://mingw-w64.org/

The build environment can be Windows, Linux, Cygwin, etc, even
specialized Linux build environments like the OpenSUSE Build Service.
Many of the build environments include package management so that you
can get your needed libraries and related build utilities (like NSIS
for building installers ("setup.exe" files.))
http://mingw-w64.org/doku.php/download

-Mike