Michael Leone on 14 Dec 2015 10:50:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Moving from SHA1 to SHA2 for self-signed certificates

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Chuck Peters <cp@ccil.org> wrote:
> Michael Leone said:
>> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Keith C. Perry
>> <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm going to guess that we are talking about certificates you have been signing for HTTPS use but if not please identify the use case(s).
>>
>> Yep, HTTPS ...
>>
>> > How did you issue them the first time?  OpenSSL?
>>
>> Yes, OpenSSL 0.9.8g on Ubuntu 9.10 (yes, it's old, but I only use it
>> for the occasional certificate, and internal SFTP server).
>
> I'm not really understanding why you want to run a CA in this case...

So I can issue certificates, of course. :-) I have issued a dozen, for
various servers (Remote Desktop Services, firewall management console,
Lotus Connections, etc.
The server itself also functions as an SFTP server, since it mostly
just sits there, not doing a whole lot. So might as well make use of
it.

Not really looking to move to some other service, thanks. I realize I
have to move to a newer version of Ubuntu at some point, but I should
be able to just move the CA there by copying files.