LeRoy on 22 Dec 2015 00:28:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: DUAL Booting With "Modern" UEFI & SDD

On 12/22/2015 01:36 AM, Ira Laefsky wrote:

> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: *Ira Laefsky*
> <ira.laefsky@gmail.com <mailto:ira.laefsky@gmail.com>> Date: Tue,
> Dec 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM Subject: DUAL Booting With "Modern" UEFI &
> SDD To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> <mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
>

> I have used Ubuntu extensively and am considering buying a new PC
> based upon the ASUS X99 USB3.1
>
> containing a 256 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO as well as 2 3TB Seagate
> HDD(s) I need Ubuntu for my research, but unfortunately also have
> to use Windows 10 (preinstalled) for certain administrative and
> other functions
>
> I have recently had the bad experience of losing a HP All-in-One
> installing Ubuntu 15.10 (dual boot) according to the instructions
> in the Ubuntu/Canonical Forum and am very apprehensive about
> purchasing a new PC workstation with UEFI and SSD and installing
> Ubuntu Dual-Boot.  Could you provide me with accurate pointers or
> advice on these
>
> New BIOS/UEFI and SDD technologies, and the terrors of Modern
> Dual-Boot.
>

> I would be grateful for any advice.
>

> Thank you
>
> Ira Laefsky

Good morning Ira,

It has been a long time since Rita and I last saw you,  I have
recently switched two om my systems to Arch Linux and they have an
excellent article describing the "modern" boot process and a syslinux
setup.  It is rather difficult

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       			           > ^ <
		       Cell Phone:  267-307-3527

See My posts on facebook and googleplus

Open PGP Key:     C34B77CC
gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on enigmail:    http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/