brent timothy saner on 21 Dec 2015 23:00:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] DUAL Booting With "Modern" UEFI & SDD

On 12/22/2015 12:42 AM, Ira Laefsky wrote:

> I have used Ubuntu extensively and am considering buying a new PC based
> upon the ASUS X99 USB3.1
>
> containing a 256 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO as well as 2 2TB Seagate HDD(s)
> I need Ubuntu for my research, but unfortunately also have to use
> Windows 10 (preinstalled) for certain administrative and other functions
>
> I have recently had the bad experience of losing a HP All-in-One
> installing Ubuntu 15.10 (dual boot) according to the instructions in the
> Ubuntu/Canonical Forum and am very apprehensive about purchasing a new
> PC workstation with UEFI and SSD and installing Ubuntu Dual-Boot.  Could
> you provide me with accurate pointers or advice on these
>
> New BIOS/UEFI and SDD technologies, and the terrors of Modern Dual-Boot.
>
> I would be grateful for any advice.

For starters, make a full DD image of your disk and store it somewhere
safe before you do anything.

That being said..

I usually use Arch, which has some pretty good documentation[0] for
doing the partitioning manually. However, you'll probably want to read
this[1], this[2]. and this[3]. Should get you started on the right path.
Essentially you'll probably want to boot up gparted (can be found on
SysRescCD, and probably on the ubuntu live dvd) and shrink the windows
partition. then create a new partition for your ubuntu / there (the
ubuntu installer has an option for manually selecting which partition to
install to).

Then you just need to add a UEFI entry with efibootmgr[4] if the ubuntu
installer doesn't do it automatically.

When installing, make sure you tell your board to boot the
CD/USB/whatever in UEFI mode.

[0]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows#Bootloader_UEFI_vs_BIOS_limitations
[1]