Keith C. Perry on 22 Dec 2015 08:22:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: DUAL Booting With "Modern" UEFI & SDD

I told Ira that you and some other folks would respond pretty quickly  :D

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Rich Mingin (PLUG)" <plug@frags.us>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:37:50 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Fwd: DUAL Booting With "Modern" UEFI & SDD

Ooh, this one is right up my alley! I'm currently working on a talk for PLUG in February on this exact topic, and would love to do some warm-up work on the mailing list first!
Good morning Ira!

I’d be more than happy to help, it’s not terribly dark or arcane once you get the relevant terminology and technology in hand. For a quick high level summary, you’ll want to leave any Microsoft-created partitions in place, resizing the main NTFS partition to make room, and the subsequent Linux install is fairly standard, with the important changes coming late in the process. There are a number of different mechanisms Linux can leverage to boot, so the selection of distribution has a large impact. Since I see you were working with Ubuntu before, I’ll assume you were planning to do so again. For the smoothest experience, I’d recommend the partition sizes and mount points I’ll list below, as that should allow a very ‘light touch’ install, with a minimal number of manual steps. I do have several similar machines, and most of them are dual booting, so please feel free to send me any and all questions, and I’ll anonymize them and use them in my presentation.

Previous:

/dev/sda1 100MB /boot/efi (FAT32) (created by existing Windows install) (UEFI ESP partition)

/dev/sda2 128MB (unformatted) (created by existing Windows install) (Microsoft unformatted partition per their spec)

/dev/sda3 varies, approx 250GB (NTFS) (Existing Windows install)

/dev/sda4, approx. 450MB (NTFS) (Existing Windows install recovery partition)

Post-install:

/dev/sda1 100MB /boot/efi (FAT32) (created by existing Windows install) (UEFI ESP partition)

/dev/sda2 128MB (unformatted) (created by existing Windows install) (Microsoft unformatted partition per their spec)

/dev/sda3 approx 125GB (NTFS) (Existing Windows install)

/dev/sda4, approx. 450MB (NTFS) (Existing Windows install recovery partition)

/dev/sda5, approx 250MB /boot (EXT4) (Ubuntu boot partition)

/dev/sda6, approx 120GB / (EXT4) (Ubuntu root partition)

/dev/sda7, approx 4GB (swap) (Ubuntu swap partition)

This actually leaves a GB or two at the end of the disk unpartitioned, which is helpful for modern SSDs (They will generally use this unused, unpartitioned space to assist with TRIM. I know the Samsung drives do.)

Depending on the current state of that HP all-in-one, that may be recoverable as well. Thanks, and please let me know what questions you have.

- Other Rich

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 3:29 AM, LeRoy <ldc@lrcressy.com> wrote:

On 12/22/2015 01:36 AM, Ira Laefsky wrote:

> ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: *Ira Laefsky*
> <ira.laefsky@gmail.com <mailto:ira.laefsky@gmail.com>> Date: Tue,
> Dec 22, 2015 at 12:42 AM Subject: DUAL Booting With "Modern" UEFI &
> SDD To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> <mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
>

> I have used Ubuntu extensively and am considering buying a new PC
> based upon the ASUS X99 USB3.1
>
> containing a 256 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO as well as 2 3TB Seagate
> HDD(s) I need Ubuntu for my research, but unfortunately also have
> to use Windows 10 (preinstalled) for certain administrative and
> other functions
>
> I have recently had the bad experience of losing a HP All-in-One
> installing Ubuntu 15.10 (dual boot) according to the instructions
> in the Ubuntu/Canonical Forum and am very apprehensive about
> purchasing a new PC workstation with UEFI and SSD and installing
> Ubuntu Dual-Boot.  Could you provide me with accurate pointers or
> advice on these
>
> New BIOS/UEFI and SDD technologies, and the terrors of Modern
> Dual-Boot.
>

> I would be grateful for any advice.
>

> Thank you
>
> Ira Laefsky

Good morning Ira,

It has been a long time since Rita and I last saw you,  I have
recently switched two om my systems to Arch Linux and they have an
excellent article describing the "modern" boot process and a syslinux
setup.  It is rather difficult

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                                                   > ^ <
                       Cell Phone:  267-307-3527

See My posts on facebook and googleplus

Open PGP Key:     C34B77CC
gpg fingerprint:  8AD5 35EF 1FDF F1A7 E483  8CCE A50D 4E81 C34B 77CC

For info on enigmail:    http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/