brent timothy saner on 22 Dec 2015 18:07:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Windows 10/UEFI/SecureBoot

On 12/22/2015 08:56 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 17:23:40 -0500
> The preceding links were exactly my point. Look at those links. Really
> read them. Look at what's involved, remembering that it's possible to
> permanently brick a machine by writing the wrong stuff to the UEFI.
> Especially view https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20303.html , and note that
> although the the instructions are fairly long, they leave many points
> for ambiguity.

it wasn't a process intended to be end-user interfered. poor design, if
anything. idea was good, but implementation was pretty bad. not that i'd
have expected anything different from MS, honestly.

> Has anyone on this list actually used any of these on a non Redhat, non
> SuSE, non Debian non Ubuntu machine? How long did it take you? What
> missteps and misunderstandings did you encounter?

- -yes, on Arch.
- -all of 30 minutes, including research.
- -literally none, i was confused at how easy it was- i had to restore it
to the default keyset and do it again just to confirm. but if you hate
reading and just want a button to press, well, i wouldn't expect one to
want to go through with it. these people, however, tend to also be the
same people using RHEL/CentOS, Debian, SuSE, or Ubuntu.

> Most of these docs are Redhat-centric. Well, if I wanted Redhat, that
> already has a cert built in. System Rescue CD, not so much.

The Arch ISO has secureboot enabled, as mentioned. One can even use the
ArchISO project (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso) to roll
their own. And it hasn't been updated in a while so I probably need to
review, but my own project (https://bdisk.square-r00t.net/git/BDisk/)
should as well- really, all you need is your keys on something like a
USB storage device formatted as fat32 and a UEFI shell from what I recall.