Gavin W. Burris on 14 Mar 2016 05:19:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Convert from Hard Drive to SSD

An rsync that preserves all file and device attribute is what you want, like Casey says (not booted from the old drive).  You will then need to yank the old drive and/or make the SSD the first boot drive, and do a rescue boot off install media.  I'm a Fedora/RHEL person, so there is a rescue option with install images.  What is the equivalent on Gentoo?  Basically, boot installer, go to the shell, mount SSD under, say, /live/usr /live/home /live/dev etc, then chroot /live and run grub2-install, reboot.

Cheers.

On Thu 03/10/16 08:04PM EST, Soren Harward wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
>
> > Anybody suggest a good strategy for this?
> >

> 1. Boot off a USB drive, or something else where neither the HDD nor the
> SSD is in use.
> 2. Mount the drives to /mnt/hdd and /mnt/sdd
> 3. rsync -avH --progress /mnt/hdd/. /mnt/sdd/.
>
> I kept a Gentoo installation going for over ten years across three
> different HDDs this way.
> --
>
> Soren Harward
> stharward@gmail.com

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
Search our documentation: http://research-it.wharton.upenn.edu/about/
Subscribe to the Newsletter: http://whr.tn/ResearchNewsletterSubscribe