Rich Freeman on 18 Mar 2016 18:07:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MythTV Front-end Recommendations

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM, George A. Theall <theall@tifaware.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 04:51:03PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> Well, I think my ITX board has died (still troubleshooting, but it
>> seems likely).  What are people using these days as a mythtv
>> front-end?  I'm not terribly picky, other than minimizing cost.
>
> I used an Intel NUC (4th gen w/ i3-4010U) when I rebuilt my frontend
> last year.  It's much smaller and quieter than the mini-ITX system it
> replaced. I don't know how this compares with others solutions as far
> as cost go, but I've been pleased.

Seems a bit pricey.  I'd really prefer to keep something like this
under $100, and keep the power consumption down as well.  Right now
I'm leaning towards a Raspberry Pi 3 or something analogous.  I
realize the Pi isn't that great a system, but it seems to be fairly
well-supported.  I'm not so concerned with being able to get Gentoo
running on an arbitrary box so much as whether MythTV or Kodi or
whatever fully supports its hardware decoding, since in my experience
these kinds of devices just can't handle 1080p without full hardware
decoding.

I'm trying to avoid brute-forcing it by spending hundreds of dollars
on a media player (and having it burn 50+W 24x7).

--
Rich