Louis K on 19 Mar 2016 07:24:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] MythTV Front-end Recommendations

This isn't an ideal solution but is what I ended up doing in a similar scenario. It's not an answer to your question but thought it might help others in the same boat.

A few years back I had a similar issue: I was  tired of running high energy machines just when I wanted to watch TV. I ended running plexmediaserver on the back end (same as mythtv backend box) and use a rasberry pi running rasplex for the front end. I had to configure Mythtv to name the recordings in a plex-friendly manner, but that wasn't difficult.

Cons:
Only works on recorded shows, no live tv. (though this plugin may solve this).
No way to set recordings via plex, have to use mythweb.

Pros:
Rasplex works with most remotes, my stream zap (which I was using for lirc before) worked out of the box.
Plex serves other media I have on my server (photos, etc) and works on my phone too (a nice way to watch dvr recordings off site).

Lou