JP Vossen on 3 Apr 2016 08:32:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Odd script problem

`set -x` is great. You can also do `set +x` to turn it back off. Or you can do `bash -x buggy_script` to debug without actually editing the script. You can do the same for `set -v` (verbose) but I've always found -x much more useful.

PS4 is the debug prompt. The default isn't that great, I like one of these, though some may argue they are overkill and/or to noisy:
	PS4='+xtrace $LINENO: '
	PS4='+xtrace $BASH_SOURCE::$FUNCNAME-$LINENO: '

NOTE the first character is shown as many times as necessary to denote the shell nesting depth, so make it something obvious like "+' or '*' or '&'.