Keith C. Perry on 11 Apr 2016 09:44:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] KDE Neon

I've been using Plasma 5 on my Arch partition for some weeks now and I do like it- amazingly they smoothed out a couple of things just when I thought they couldn't.  I'm looking forward to my Kubuntu 14.04 upgrade to 16.04 to see how much of my KDE 4 settings persists to Plasma 5.  Should be interesting...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Helledy" <gregsonh@gra-inc.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 12:36:45 PM
Subject: [PLUG] KDE Neon

For various reasons, the version of KDE provided with mainstream linux
distributions lags far behind what its developers are currently working
on (KDE 5.6, while for example the LTS release of Kubuntu, 14.04, still
has KDE 4).  So, the organization has created a project called Neon,
which will be two things:
1.  A replacement set of KDE packages for Kubuntu (and other Ubuntu flavors)
2.  An installable live CD of Kubuntu, with its KDE already replaced
with the latest versions.

Currently, 2. is using Ubuntu 15.10, but they plan to use only LTS
versions once 16.04 is out.  So this should be a usable OS, not just a
demonstration project.  That will be the "User Edition" of Neon when
it's released.

As a KDE user, I took the "Developer Edition" out for a spin, and I have
to say I like KDE 5.

Here's the main download page.
http://neon.kde.org/download

I used the git-stable branch image.  I couldn't test every possible
thing of course but I liked what I saw.  The only thing that didn't seem
to work properly is the Discover app, which is the software store.  At
first I thought I might be having trouble figuring it out but it's
apparently not ready for prime time.  I apt-got synaptic and went from
there.  Other than that it looks nice.  Maybe worthy of consideration
for any new machines once 16.04 comes out (next week).

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated