Rich Freeman on 13 Apr 2016 15:27:01 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Desktop Support ?

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM, a.f. domino <tax.reporter@gmail.com> wrote:

> re: the eeepc- i restarted it and let it run thru the disk check and got
>
> i pressed "m" for manual recovery and it ran some sort of system check that
> lasted for several moments but finally froze up.  this was the last line "
> buffer I/O error on device sda1 logical block 29373405"

Does it give you any kind of shell prompt?

The error is sounding like hardware to me, which means a new drive
(maybe you can recover, but when I've seen one failure on a drive I
tend to see more - I'd get any data you care about off of there and
replace the drive).

If you can get to a prompt I'd run smartctl -a /dev/sda (if you're not
already root precede it with sudo).  Look for non-zero offline
uncorrectable or current pending sectors.  Non-zero reallocated sector
counts is also an indicator, though I've never seen a non-zero reading
on any consumer drive I've looked at so I think they tend to not
report these.  In any case, where there is smoke there is probably
fire, or there will be soon.

--
Rich