Keith C. Perry on 18 Apr 2016 14:18:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] >32K concurrent processes

Walt, thanks for that I meant to include the link I found on this as well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCHED_DEADLINE#Background_on_CPU_schedulers_in_the_Linux_kernel

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walt Mankowski" <waltman@pobox.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 5:15:38 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] >32K concurrent processes

Interesting. I hadn't heard that they'd changed the scheduling
algorithm. Wikipedia has a nice summary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Completely_Fair_Scheduler

And here's what it has to say about the Deadline Scheduler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadline_scheduler

Based on my reading of that, the CFS is responsible for scheduling
processes, while the DS schedules I/O.

To answer Rich's question, O(1) only refers to the time to choose the
next process. It's not constant time to add new processes to the run
queue. The overhead increases as the number of processes
increases. Even though it seems like it should be a simple round
robin, it's not. The processes are kept in a red-black tree that has
to be updated for every process switch.