Keith C. Perry on 22 Apr 2016 08:39:20 -0700

Re: [PLUG] KDE Neon

I was all ready to roll my first attempt at some virtualized Ubuntu 14.04 LTS --> 16.04 LTS release upgrades except that "do-release-upgrade" couldn't find anything.  Then I found this...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/ReleaseNotes#Upgrading_from_Ubuntu_14.04_LTS_or_15.10

So, it looks like in place upgrades become available in a couple of months.  That's probably a good thing since user feedback might show some point releases are necessary.  However, it is possible to upgrade to the latest (and last?) 16.04 beta by adding the "-d" parameter.  The complete command is simply:

"do-release-upgrade -d"

If you can't wait, that's the way to proceed and then you should be able to upgrade to the official release when it become available.

I would normally wait but this time around I'm going to do this so I can see how my Kubuntu (personal desktops) and Lubuntu (personal and client servers) nodes fair.  I'm particularly interested in how the move to systemd is handled by release upgrades.  If it blows up or I don't like what I see, I can always roll back the snapshot of the VM and wait for the official release.  :D

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167