Keith C. Perry on 26 Apr 2016 09:07:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] TOMORROW - Tue, Apr 19, 2016: PLUG North - "Linux Containers" by Jason Plum and Rich Freeman (*6:30 pm* at CoreDial in Blue Bell)

"Both zfs and btrfs redundantly store ALL metadata (I know btrfs even
does this by default on a single disk, but with multiple disks it
ensures redundant copies are on different disks), and everything is
checked on read."

That is my understanding as well.  CRC's are currently only applied to the metadata.  This is my point though, is that a small amount of redundancy is useful and continues to improve XFS as a file system.  Even before the feature was added (its a relatively new) XFS was considered a "high performance" file system- a subjective, time-wise contextual but ultimately a throw away statement because its still only one part of the process- pick an fs, rinse and repeat the same thing.  BTRFS and ZFS in this regard offer optimizations (i.e. better redundancy, more advanced features, consolidated management, etc) at the file system level but that is all they can do and when you net out the optimizations throughout the entire process that is how we get to the overall high level of data durability available the Linux world via a number of file systems and other data storage technology.

"The main thing that has kept me away from xfs is the fact that you
can't shrink the filesystem.  That can be a major inconvenience when
you're moving disks around.  I've run it in the past and it works
reasonably well in general, but for my generic reliable filesystem I
stick with ext4."

That's the number 1 reason people say they don't run XFS.  Its a valid point, however, the question then become how often do you shrink file systems **in place** in production systems.  Obviously you and others do.  For me that answer is never.  From the R&D point of view I'm often moving system and/or data volumes around- its one of things I do most especially between VM containers and bare metal (that's why its never an an in place task).  So, even though I always start with 100Gb disk images when I move the file system, it gets imaged onto the appropriate medium in at the appropriate size with the same one-liner.  It doesn't matter whether its a 16Gb USB stick, 128Gb SSD or 1Tb encrypted VM container with system and data volumes.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167