John Kreno on 27 Apr 2016 10:45:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] disk image one-liner

Keith,
 Is the distro you are using default to XFS or did you specifically select XFS as your filesystem ?

 -John

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Keith C. Perry <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:
"Are you saying that if I start a dump that takes an hour to complete,
then change a bunch of files, the dump will reflect the contents of
the file as of the moment the dump was started?  That wasn't clear in
my quick google searching, but it is of course theoretically possible
with a journaling filesystem."

That is exactly what I am saying  :)

The reason you're not seeing that wording or are even people saying that it is not atomic is because depending on the order of operations, a change to the fs after a dump starts may or may not be included in the dump.  That is fine in practically speaking but if you want to be strict with definitions it isn't.

The other way to think about this is that xfsdump and only be run on a mounted file system.  So wording aside it was designed that way and thus must deal with changes during the dump operation.  Otherwise, we would be forced us to mount xfs read-only in order for the dump facility to work.

So the bottom line is you will not get corruption due to partial file system changes during a dump.

Of course to truly be atomic you can freeze a mounted fs, dump and then release it.  In practice that is not necessary or even desired if you do dumps during "quiet" times.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167