PaulNM on 29 Apr 2016 13:03:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Micro Center Flash Drives?

On 04/29/2016 10:17 AM, Keith C. Perry wrote:
I think you are right about MultiBoot.  I used syslinux to create a multiboot usb stick for the FOSSCON installfest last year and the filesystem was FAT-32.

Oh it definitely uses it by default. I'm just not sure if it's still required, or if something like exfat can be used. The only reason I'd be interested in it is because of FAT32's 4GB file size limitation.

Just to clarify, when I'm talking about MultiSystem, I'm specifically referring to this:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/multiboot-create-a-multiboot-usb-from-linux/

Their actual site is http://liveusb.info/dotclear/, but it's french-only. The tool itself can use any of over 25 languages though.

It's a really nice gui way (under linux) to create and update a bootable flash drive. They use grub2, and you can have any number of isos/images on it. It's easy to add or remove additional images. While it does already know how to handle a bunch of distro isos out there, it's not only limited to the ones it knows about. There's a generic option. I think it also incorporates a few other bootloaders chained in as well, so it's very flexible. It works on uefi systems.

My only "complaint" is they bundle memtest86+ in as well. I love having it, but it's not possible to update that independently or add memtest86+ iso manually. On the other hand, if you install MultiSystem via the script on pendrivelinux you end up with a repository that's updated several times a year.

If you don't want to add a repository to your system, or just want to grab a deb to check out first, the script created:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/multisystem.list:
## Depôt MultiSystem
deb http://liveusb.info/multisystem/depot all main #Multiystem USB

- PaulNM