Tom Hornberger on 8 Jun 2016 10:07:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] USB to DB9 and a Null Modem

-----Original Message-----
From: Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wed, Jun 8, 2016 12:19 pm
Subject: Re: [PLUG] USB to DB9 and a Null Modem

It actually has a real, legit ftdi chip in it and two db-9's. I can connect to a server and a switch, or two switches, etc....

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 11:58 AM, Gavin W. Burris <bug@wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:
I have this Belkin and it works great with getty, a null cable and serial terminal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107381

Cheers.

On Wed 06/08/16 10:44AM EDT, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but I had really good
> luck with a Keyspan USB-to-serial adapter to download results from a
> race timing machine that only had a serial interface:
>
> https://www.tripplite.com/keyspan-high-speed-usb-to-serial-adapter~USA19HS/
>
> Thanks,
>       Aaron

I'd second the Keyspan adapter.  I've used them for several years. At least get an adapter with the "blinking lights".
It makes troubleshooting easier.  I prefer the 3 piece approach: Usb ->> Serial, Straight thru cable and a null
modem adapter if needed.

Tom