Michael Lazin on 17 Jun 2016 08:06:14 -0700

[PLUG] find all files with non ascii characters in a directory

I am interested in using the find command to recursively find all non-ascii character named files in a directory.  I found this article in stack overflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3001177/how-do-i-grep-for-all-non-ascii-characters-in-unix

based on the reported best answer I tried:

find . -type f | grep "[\x80-\xFF]"

this results in the following error:
grep: Invalid range end

I have created a chinese named empty file in my home directory for testing purposes using the touch command.  I would like my find string to find not just chinese, but all non-ascii characters.  Can anyone help me with this?  Thanks

Michael Lazin

--
Michael Lazin

to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai