Keith C. Perry on 7 Jul 2016 02:23:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] non-internet accessible media streaming

They don't which is why I wouldn't recommend them :)  Kodi as a client on ARM boxes would be a much better solution either way.  For your case, you may want to use one of the clients as a server as well to keep it simple.  Now that I think more about this, I would get an Odriod XU4 (has USB 3.0) or at least the CuBox i4 Pro (has eSATA) for the server (and "main" client) so that you has fast access to storage.  Most external enclosures or docks will at least be USB 3.0 these days.  As long as you run wireless-N you should be able to stream in HD to at least two screens simultaneously.

---
KP-

On Jul 7, 2016 12:58 AM, Andy Wojnarek <andy.wojnarek@theatsgroup.com> wrote:
I heard Chromecasts don’t work well with no internet connection.

Andy

From: plug on behalf of "Keith C. Perry"
Date: Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:44 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] non-internet accessible media streaming

I run mediatomb against a raid 5 media volume but I have also run in on my Beagle Bone Black with an sshfs mount to remote disk.  That serves my TVs with DLNA Bluray players or Chromecasts using an android device with BubbleUPnP.  It also serves my computers running Kodim(which can also serve content).

I would definitely put wifi up and then use either an hmdi dongle or small ARM system running linux (or android).

The units I was considering...

https://www.solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/cubox-i/

or

http://cuboxtv.com

...still might be deployed if Google doesn't allow better format support on the Chromecast.

These are expensive relatively speaking but at least you know what you are getting.

An Odroid C1+ is cheaper (http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G143703355573) and would get the job done but I like the CuBox form factor.  The Odroid could certainly run the server.

---
KP-