jvoris on 14 Jul 2016 11:23:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Question on *RWX authorities to files and folders

Thanks.

I thought that I would have to check multiple combinations, not just a
single authority to check.
As I read this page
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/Permissions.html#uh-1  - A users authority
to put a file into a directory has to have an 'X' Executable ( he is
able to search it , etc ) *OR* have a 'W' to write a file to it.

With a "W", they could do a sightless WRITE of a file to the directory
without even checking the contents of the directory.  It is my program
that is responsible for deleting the old file if I find it still exists
there.

- John V.