Thomas Delrue on 20 Jul 2016 17:01:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How Do They Put Artwork on CD?

On 07/20/2016 07:16 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> I put a commercial music CD into my 2015 subaru's CD player, and a
> small version of the cover art appeared on the display screen.  How
> the heck did it do that?   Is it encoded in the CD along with track
> text info?  I had thought the car was downloading artwork via
> satellite, but I let my satellite subscription (included with the
> car) lapse 6 months ago.
>
> I've Duck-Duck-Go'd this, but can't find anything other than putting
> artwork on CDs.
>
> Anybody know how it's encoded on the disk?

I never had a satellite subscription but mine does the same - even for
MP3s. I think it does actually pull it over the air through OnStar
which, IIRC, is in Subarus.

for more info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onstar

As usual - and in this case, apt - YMMV... ;)