Casey Bralla on 30 Jul 2016 16:27:31 -0700

[PLUG] Spamassassin Bayes Question - Where is the Database? Is it Working?

I've been using spamassassin on my postfix/amavis system for some time. I have it catching spam system-wide and sending all the spam to a spam user eMail address. It seems to work fine, but I'm not sure the bayes learning is working.

I've got a cron job to run sa-learn every night on my ham and spam Maildir folders. (I have manually sorted any misidentified mail to the correct user Maildir folders, so these directories are "pure".). I run this cron job as root every night, but I suspect that when I run it, it is not creating the same database that is used by the postfix/amavis system when it examines each incoming email message.

I've found 3 versions of the bayes_toks file on the disk. They have "similar" timestamps, but radically different sizes:

-rw------- 1 root root 167919616 Jul 30 18:59 /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
-rw------- 1 amavis amavis 5640192 Jul 30 18:23 /var/lib/amavis/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
-rw------- 1 debian-spamd debian-spamd 667648 Jul 30 17:35 /var/lib/spamassassin/.spamassassin/bayes_toks

I tried running sa-learn as amavis and debian-spamd, but they cannot read the Maildir directories.

I cannot find anywhere in my debian configuration files where the path is specified for bayes_toks, so I cannot set them to be the same file.

So, why do I have 3 different versions of this file with -almost- the same timestamp but different sizes?

Is the bayes data being used by postfix/amavis?

Anybody have a suggestion of how to make them work properly? (or maybe they are all working properly).

I welcome thoughts and suggestions!

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence