Greg Helledy on 28 Jul 2016 17:23:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] BIOS settings changing without user input on new laptop

This laptop doesn't have an optical drive but I installed Mint to a USB stick, set BIOS to default to booting from USB, and gave it a shot. Mint booted normally, but when I shut down and booted again, I got the same blinking cursor. Going into BIOS revealed that the configuration had reverted to diskette in first position, HD in second and USB in third--exactly the same as when I boot from the SSD.

So, it's not the OS doing this. I did run the diagnostic utility that Dell provides, and it returned no errors. Is the CMOS battery the next thing to try here, then? It's odd to me that SOME things are reverting to a particular setting, (like the legacy boot order, and Fast Boot enabled), but other things (like legacy boot instead of UEFI) remain changed. Does that sound possible if the battery is bad?

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated