Lowell Higley on 1 Aug 2016 12:48:10 -0700

Re: [PLUG] FOSS Home Automation?

I use z-wave.  While the protocol itself is proprietary there are a lot of open source tools and libraries that use the protocol.  You can buy all kinds of devices (wall switches, window sensors, pool valves, etc.) on amazon.  Just search for "z-wave".

I still use X10 for my irrigation system.. in the process of building an Ardrino sprinkler controller and connecting it to my z-wave controller via a z-wave shield.  I already have many light switches, ceiling fans, and door locks that are on my z-wave controller.  I use the Mi Casa Verde z-wave controller. It'll text or e-mail me when someone enters the wrong door code in.  I am also thinking about putting in a camera above my door and it will snap a picture anyone tries to put in a door code.  There are many apps in Google Play to control your Mi Casa Verde.

I'm sure there's plenty of open source software out there to allow you to build your own z-wave controller, probably even on an Ardrino or Raspberry Pi.