Rich Freeman on 1 Aug 2016 12:56:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] FOSS Home Automation?

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Jason Plum <jplum@archlinuxarm.org> wrote:
> Have you heard of openHAB?
>
> I don't know that it will fit all of your needs, but I would suggest having
> a glance over at their site (http://www.openhab.org/) for docs and
> functionality.

This actually looks promising.  I think I had glossed over it because
I saw Java in a description somewhere, but I'm sure somebody has a
distro bundled around it.

I like that they seem to integrate with everybody else's APIs
(including the proprietary stuff).  It even supports Plex and my
Ecobee thermostat.  By being more of a bridge and less of a direct
implementation it seems to sidestep some of the compatibility issues,
which means I can pick the right tool for the job.

Maybe I'll see if I can get it running on a Pi controller (though once
I'm sure I like it I'll probably switch to something like an ODroid
for this).

--
Rich